Seeking Operations Manager
For a printable version, click here: Operations Manager 2020
BELLINGHAM FARMERS MARKET
Operations Manager Job Description
Mission and Scope: The Bellingham Farmers Market supports local sustainable agriculture by connecting the public with local farmers, artisans, and other producers in an economically viable marketplace.
The Operations Manager is responsible for managing the weekly on-site operations of the farmers market. This includes being the primary point of contact for vendors and customers during market hours and is the Bellingham Farmers Market (BFM) representative on site. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people including customers, vendors, volunteers, health inspectors, police, City of Bellingham, BFM staff, interns, and volunteers.
The Bellingham Farmers Market operates downtown at Depot Market Square – 1100 Railroad Avenue. The market operates on the third Saturday of the month in Jan, Feb, and March; and weekly, every Saturday April through December. The market is open to the public 10 am – 3 pm. A secondary market has typically operated at a different location on Wednesdays, June through August. Although this secondary market is not scheduled to operate in 2020, it will be added back in the future. The Operations Manager is required to work at all BFM markets.
With direction and assistance from the Market Director, the Operations Manager is responsible for managing the weekly on-site operations of the market. This includes ensuring policies are being adhered to by vendors and protocols are being followed to create a safe, comfortable, and lively marketplace for customers. This position’s general responsibilities include: organizing weekly layout of market, facilitating vendor relationships, coordinating market set-up and break-down each market day, managing the site to maximize capacity and attractiveness, assisting with social media, operating the EBT (food access) program, selling merchandise on-site, answering customer questions, and assisting with the market’s special events. The Operations Manager must be self-motivated. They must be able to work well independently in an office environment; and interact with the public and vendors in a friendly, professional manner at market. Must have access to a vehicle to get all supplies to the market daily. This position reports directly to the Market Director. The following duties are functions of the Operations Manager:
Duties — At Market
- Collect all stall fees owed, make accurate accounting of merchandise sales, and complete all required daily financial documentation
- Arrive prior to market vendors and remain throughout the market day (Saturday work days typically begin at 6 am and end at 5 pm)
- Manage on-site traffic flow before and after market to ensure safety and vendor compliance
- Ensure all state, county, city and BFM rules and regulations are adhered to
- Coordinate with Market Director to create real-time social media posts
- Answer questions from vendors and customers
- Assist vendors, community representatives, and customers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate
- Maintain market grounds in a safe manner
- Operate Information Booth
- Operate market’s EBT program
- Act as liaison to the Market Director
- Communicate market policies, activities, and rules to vendors, keeping them informed throughout the season
- Bring suggestions/complaints from vendors back to the Market Director
- Manage entertainment and special events
- Conduct periodic customer counts and surveys
- Responsible for transporting necessary equipment from storage to other market sites as necessary
- Assure the market site is clean at marketing closing
Duties — Office and Administrative
- Assist with maintaining database of vendors, their contact information, and any licenses or permits
- each vendor possesses based on the products they are selling
- Assist Market Director with vendor dues and reconciliation
- Develop weekly site map(s) and communicate with vendors on their placements
- Community relationship development
- Assist Market Director with special events planning
- Preparations of site for upcoming season, following up on necessary maintenance or repairs needed, inventory of site equipment, hiring staff, set staffing schedule, organize volunteers, etc.
- Assist with farm inspections
- High school diploma or equivalency (college graduate preferred)
- Valid WA State Motor Vehicle License
- Vehicle required (truck or van desirable, but not required)
- Computer competency with Word, Excel, E-mail. Graphic design skills a plus.
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Must be available for cell phone contact and e-mail throughout the duration of their employment to
- ensure high level of communication with vendors, customers and staff
- Ability to work independently as well as inter-dependently with a team of other staff members
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- People person with skills in diplomacy and dispute resolution skills
- Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills
- Passionate about the community and local agriculture
- Ability to train, supervise, coordinate and motivate staff and volunteers
This is an hourly position and averages 25-30 hours per week. The work-load and hours may be higher during the main season (April-Dec) and lighter in the slow season (Jan-March). Attendance at market on Saturdays is required. Other work hours are flexible based on prior arrangement with the Market Director.
This position is paid a competitive hourly rate ($19/hour). Mileage for work duties will be paid. Wage payments and reimbursements are made once per month. Paid sick leave will be provided based on WA State laws.
How to apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Operations Manager Application” in the email subject line. Applications are due by 1/26/20. If selected, interviews will begin by 2/10/20. Projected start date for this position is March 9.